Monday, January 11, 2016

This Year I'll Be A Better Mom

A letter to my daughters…

Happy New Year, sweet girls!

I know I have let you down this past year, and I’m truly sorry. Please forgive me for the times I was not the mother God wanted me to be. Forgive me for those times I was too tired to play what you wanted, those times I told you, “Give me one more minute,” those times I put work above you, when I took out my frustration on you, for not wanting to get up with you in the middle of the night, those times I was not respectful to your dad, and for wanting more time to myself.

I’m sorry you had to see that side of me. I’m sorry for being selfish.

You are each an incredible blessing in my life, and I know I don’t always show that. This year I will. This year I will hug you a little tighter, read another book before bed, soak up the smell of your freshly shampooed hair, and love on you a little more. I will not rush from one thing to the next. When you want or need my attention, I will gladly give it, and I will appreciate each memory we make, because I realize our time together is not going to last forever.

One day you will move out. You might have a family of your own, and I want you to be the best wife and mom you can be, and I know that starts right now by me setting the example.

I will live this year in the moment, for there were too many times that passed by last year where I was preoccupied with something else. I will say yes to the simple things in life and no to the things that pull me away from you. I will love you with a fierce love so you know how much you are cared for, adored, and appreciated. I will be the light that God has called me to be in your life so you can see him, know him, and love him.

I will love on your dad in front of you a little more. My tone with him will be much sweeter, and I will show respect so you know how to treat your husbands in the future. I will make family a priority each and every day because this is what truly matters. When you have families of your own one day, I want them to be a great value to you, and I know that starts by me showing it now.

This year is going to be a year for more love, laughs, hugs, and memories. I thank God for you every day, but this year I’m going to thank him even more and soak up everything I can, because this year you will grow more and more. My time with you is becoming less, so it’s about time to make these moments filled with more love and joy.

When you look back on your childhood, I hope you remember the love that was shown to you. I pray that I am a godly example of a wife and a mother. Each year is a chance to start fresh, but we are also given that opportunity every day.

Lamentations 3:22-23 says, “The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”

Each day I fail as a mother, but God’s grace is there to meet me when I have fallen. How precious is that grace! How much of a blessing it is to start fresh.

Each morning I am going to find a way to be a better mom to you. Each of you is a blessing. Never forget that, sweet girls! And neither shall I.

Love,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment